Dec 12, 2011

Day Trip

By Fiona Sinclair

9

On the road, uncle’s sat nav commentary directs

us back to his salesman days,

I’ve stayed there often

They always bought tea towels.

At Chichester Cathedral I insist on photographs of aunt and myself ;

because discounting chavs , petty criminals,

and those who keep us at Christmas card distance,

she is my only relative,

and time like a bowling ball is scattering her 70s .

After lunch at Bosham Quay,

an hour lost in a bijou boutique

as we ransack clothes rails

daring each other to buy.

Outside, uncle has the engine running,

he points the car homeward

Quick route or pretty?

I try to squeeze the last dregs out of the trip

suggesting tea and a look round Lewes.

But we shuffle out of the café

relieved to find that the day has already been snuffed out.


Blackpool by Night | Baby Birds


No comments:

Post a Comment